TOP 5 questions regarding the temporary rental supplement in B.C.

1) How much money will be provided by the BC Temporary Rental Supplement (BC-TRS)?
Individuals and couples that do not have any dependents are eligible for $300 per month while households with dependents  may be eligible for $500. The BC-TRS is currently available for up to three months for April, May, and June.

2) I have a non-conforming (not legal) rental unit, is my tenant still eligible to apply for the BC-TRS?

Yes, tenants living in illegal or non-conforming rental units that meet all other criteria are eligible to apply. Landlords must complete the application process to receive aid from the BC-TRS. BC Housing has indicated that they will not share landlords’ information with other government bodies.

3) To ensure that I receive this supplement to cover a portion of my tenant’s rent should I start the application on their behalf?

No. Landlords 
complete the application process, the tenants must start the application. Landlords should communicate with their tenant to ensure they have all the necessary documentation to complete their application. A good practice during this time is to provide any tenant that is planning to apply for the BC-TRS with a copy of their tenancy agreement. 

4) My rental unit is occupied by roommates do they apply as a household or separately?

Roommates are not considered a household and should apply separately. Applicants will need to meet all other eligibility criteria. Renters who reside with roommates need to remember that to eligible for the BC-TRS, the amount of rent due per individual must be more than 30% of the applicant’s income.

5) My tenant is not a Canadian citizen/permanent resident, are they eligible?

Many renters in British Columbia are neither Canadian citizens nor permanent residents. The BC-TRS is generally accessible to these individuals and households so long as they meet all eligibility criteria. Along with the standard criteria, tenants who are considered temporary residents must be either an international student or be able to legally work in Canada.

More information about this program can be found here: